Friday, July 30, 2010

Watermelon, Watermelon

This week has been a week full of fantastic investigators. I love them all!! I'll start out with Chris. He is a referral from a recent convert, Daniel. He is the greatest and had already attended family home evening, institute and church on Sunday before our first lesson. We began teaching him, and both me and Sister Le Sueur would agree, that it wasn't us that was leading the lesson at all, but the Spirit. It inspired us to teach about families and prayer. Daniel bore his most humble testimony of when he prayed to know the church and the book of Mormon are true and the undeniable confirmation that he received. At the end of our lesson, Chris offered his own sincere prayer and the Spirit was so strong. We asked him what he was feeling, and he said, "The Spirit. I like it. When can we meet again?" That is the best thing a missionary can hear other than "I want to be baptized." Haha. I can't wait to teach Chris again, but more importantly for him to pray on his own to get the confirmation for himself, because I know he will. There is no doubt in my mind. I love the spirit.

This weekend was fun, we are teaching 2 Africans, one is from the Ivory Coast and the other is from Ghana. And unfortunately for us, our appointments for both of them were scheduled during the soccer game of Ghana against the USA in the World Cup... No Bueno haha. One canceled and when we showed for the other, his apartment was filled with friends and family rooting for Ghana, cheering and eating food. I loved it. It reminded me of home! I wish could have joined, but it was great to see their family united. Such good times. So we rescheduled and will teach him this week.

We also had a great YSA Activity that we went to this Saturday. It was huge! It was 4 singles wards together. So basically it was all of northern Virginia. They were having a BBQ at a park with a large pavilion with music playing and soccer and softball games going. There were 4 other sets of missionaries. It was great. We were able to meet each others investigators and I was able to meet new missionaries. I had never seen them before, so that was nice. We had two of our investigators come and one felt so comfortable that he began to break dance and got a dance started. It was fun. I love serving in a singles ward. We have the best activities to go to.

My favorite investigator story comes from the sweetest Korean old lady I've ever met. We met her tracting and decided to stop by last week to drop off a Book of Mormon. We saw her look through her peep hole, but she didn't answer. So we tried again this week and she let us right in. She apologized for not letting us in last time, but she was drunk and felt it was inappropriate. This week she was particularly lonely and just needed to talk, so we let her talk, but she also wanted to serve us. And she did all right! She feed us the most watermelon I have ever eaten. She pulled out this giant watermelon that her nephew had given her. Since she lives by herself she couldn't finish it on her own, so she literally cut up half the watermelon into triangles and put it on a plate and told us to eat. So me and Sister Le Sueur began to eat. About 2 slices in, I was beginning to be full. Susan noticed I was wiping my hands, appearing to be done and so she urged me to continue eating. It was at this moment I realized she intended for us to finish her watermelon. I was able to sneak a look to Sister Le Sueur. She just smiled and took a bite of watermelon. So we finished our visit and the watermelon. We left so full !!! I don't believe I will ever eat that much watermelon again, or least not till our next visit with Susan.

Sister Garbrick

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

sister garbrick | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates